Friday, January 18, 2013

The Last Supper...


It really is amazing how fast time flies. It seems like just yesterday when I pulled into the Noisy-le-Roi train station, saw a group of mothers clustered together, and eventually met a family of strangers that I quickly learned to know and love as family. Although some of days seemed to last forever, each week…every couple days simply went by all to fast. All of the small moments around the dinner table with my host family, the adventures with my peers around Paris, and most importantly the classroom experience have made an indelible impression on me that I hope to never forget.

Enough of the downtrodden jabber and saisir le jour (seize the day)!! We made our final venture into Paris today, and I feel that it’s pretty safe to say that my peers and I experienced as much of Paris as we possibly could in such a short period of time. Our first stop was the passages couverts de Paris, which is the first version of what we would call a shopping mall. After a chilly stroll through the passages couverts, we made our way to the Galeries Layfayette and Au Printemps, both of which put Somerset, a pretty nice mall near my home, to shame. The trip to these department stores was definitely worth it because both have extravagant stained glass domes that are simply breath taking. We made a quick trip over to the opera house before we sat down for lunch on the top floor of Au Printemps. Like the stained glass domes atop each of the department stores, the entire opera house was simply awe-inspiring. After a tasty lunch at Au Printemps, we made the trek through the frigid weather to the La Madeleine, which is a feat in itself since there was a lot of debate over whether or not the government would construct the church. Before heading home, we made one last stop at Notre Dame and ventured inside since the line to get in was far too long during our earlier visits since the weather was much nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment