Monday, January 14, 2013

Lycée Corneille (Le Celle St. Cloud) & the Musee Lambinet

This morning I made my way to Lycée Corneille in Le Celle St. Cloud. In the French education system a Lycée is roughly the same as an American high school, so this was a slight adjustment from the time that I spent at Quintinye College in Noisy-le-Roi. The first class I observed was a European section of the international school and they gave their oral reports, which revolved around the various fashion styles and how they change with the seasons. Each group had a general theme, such as the different clothing that a soccer club supporter or an American flapper would wear. I had a good laugh watching the students strut their styles down the makeshift runway they constructed out of desks.

I then joined an English literature class where the teacher was helping the students stretch their minds for their exam later in the day. The review focused on the concept of free will in George Orwell's, "A Clockwork Orange". The overall level of understanding and application on behalf of the students really impressed me because they not only needed to read the novel in English, which is not their native language, but they also needed to wrestle with the ideas and present their understanding of the material in English on top of it all. This was an awesome example of critical thinking on a high level!

After a short day at the Lycée, the Albion/Noisy-le-Roi twin city committee treated my peers and I to a trip to the Musee Lambinet. The Lambinet Museum is a private mansion that was built in the late 18th century for Joseph Porchon, the architect of the King's residences. The Lambinet is of particular interest because it is the only museum in the city of Versailles.

No comments:

Post a Comment