Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Noisy/Bailly +3 days...

I know it's a stretch, but I feel like my experiences in Noisy-le-Roi and Bailly are comparable to the mighty feat that the Allies achieved on the beaches of Normandy on June 6, 1944...Any who, as much as I enjoyed seeing my family, especially my dog, and being back at Albion, I feel as if a small part of me is missing...especially the amazing scent of croissants wafting upstairs from the kitchen! I have met a lot of people thus far in my life, but I struggle to think of any individual, yet alone an entire family, that welcomed me into their home as quickly and sincerely as Valerie, Olivier, Juliette, Pauline, Alexis, and Antoine did when I arrived at the train station just over two weeks ago. I will not soon forget the time that I spent with my host family; between the vast number of intriguing discussions over marvelous meals, a handful of hours writing this blog at the dining room table while the kids did their school work, or simply grabbing a seat on the kitchen table and chatting with Valerie and Olivier while dinner was simmering in the oven.

In all fairness, my mother is phenomenal when it comes to putting a 5-star dinner together for my father and I, but I can think of very few things that are tastier then a loaf of baguette from the bakery down the street that is still pipping hot! Who could forget the excitement leading up to seeing who will bite into the charm hidden in the flakey, almond rich goodness that is galette des rois (Kings Cake)! While the purpose of our trip was to explore the French education system, which I made a steadfast effort to fulfill, I feel that this trip was more about expanding my cultural horizons by means of surrounding myself with the French culture and just letting things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment